• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Toe-Walking

Sykoknot

Bluelight Crew
For the past couple years I have developed toe-walking. (Walking on the toes and ball of the foot instead of heel to toe) It began during psychedelic use, because it felt more "right" and natural than heel to toe.

I have done a good amount of research and know it is much healthier to not have a heel-strike when running, but the opposite seems to be believed about when walking. (Though no evidence I have found says that to be true.)

I was wondering if anyone has any sources to share with me on toe-walking. I have read a lot about children doing toe walking and their parents proceeded to get them surgery to get them to stop. But if so many kids do it when they are young, doesnt it seem its somewhat natural? There is also no empirical evidence to show that it is harmful for you. Only the opposite, really.

I think heel to toe is the natural stance for the majority of the human race. When you say a lot of children, how much is a lot, because even if those children number in the millions they will only be a meager less than 1% of the entire population.

I like to tiptoe through the tulips.

If I kiss you in the garden, in the moonlight
Will you pardon me?

;)

So, whenever and wherever you take a step, it's toe-to-heel? I mean, I guess that isn't going to be harmful, but if I saw you walking down the street, I'd definitely think you were on PCP

;)

~ vaya

So, whenever and wherever you take a step, it's toe-to-heel? I mean, I guess that isn't going to be harmful, but if I saw you walking down the street, I'd definitely think you were on PCP

;)

~ vaya

I would have to say it's just toe... Not toe to heel.

And no, I don't think it's natural.

Weird, this is the second mention of this I've heard in a short time(and I've never heard of it at all before that). I was just reading that a lot of autistic children have this problem. No I don't think it's natural considering it was something that spontaneously happened to you while doing psychedelic drugs. It's just a bad habit, and you can change it if you wish. I don't believe it would be good for your feet long term.

I wear five finger shoes which simulate being barefoot. My natural gate in them is a slight toe to heal. If I'm running in them it is even more pronounced. However, if I wear normal shoes I walk heal to toe.

While i was having neurological problems from a nasty reation to tramadol i started toe walking. Some of the muscles in my legs had spasmed and shortened which caused the toe walking. Over time i was able to stretch the muscles back to their normal lengths and the toe walking resolved.

My husband had a bad reaction to Anti-psychotics and did this for about a week.

I wear five finger shoes which simulate being barefoot. My natural gate in them is a slight toe to heal. If I'm running in them it is even more pronounced. However, if I wear normal shoes I walk heal to toe.

I wear vibrams as well, this plays alot into why it feels comfortable. In normal shoes I tend to be more "normal" and go heel to toe.

My husband had a bad reaction to Anti-psychotics and did this for about a week.

That's interesting.

OP, if you can, you need to stop or your tendons & muscles will change and cause you all sorts of musculoskeletal problems. Unless it's more comfortable to walk like that, and then it's worth getting checked out as you may have an existing musculoskeletal issue, and you may need corrective treatment

I think everyone is over-reacting. Like OP and I both said, this is caused by wearing vibram 5 finger shoes. Flat bottomed shoes cause people to walk heal to toe. IMO the barefoot way is more natural.

I think everyone is over-reacting. Like OP and I both said, this is caused by wearing vibram 5 finger shoes. Flat bottomed shoes cause people to walk heal to toe. IMO the barefoot way is more natural.

Barefoot FTW!
I suppose we will find out who is right in a few years when problems may or may not arise :p

I just tried walking barefoot & still walk heel to toe. Surely this is how the foot is designed to work at walking pace. To walk around toe to heel feels really unnatural and forced. So does everyone who wears vibram shoes walk toe to heel?

Its not toe to heel. The heel hardly touches at all. Its walking solely on the ball and toes of your foot.

hmm, I don't walk solely on the balls of my feet. my heel definitely touches.

I tried it again. While barefoot, if I walk slowly it is a definite heal to toe motion. The faster I go, the more it changes to toe to heal. At a full run (barefoot or in five fingers) I'm almost completely on the front of my foot with my heals only tapping the ground slightly.

I believe what's meant with a heel stike is that you land flat on your heels instead of a gradual back to front motion (the flat landing will make more noise; the "strike"). The gradual motion will devide the strain of walking and running evenly over the calf muscles. I'm not sure if there are any injury-problems (reversed shin splints??) with toe walking but I imagine it will give you a funny walk.

I think doing it as adult is not going to harm you nor when doing it as a child.

It is a concern if it persists 2+ years of age with other signs and symptoms, as it may be a related to a condition like CP or Autism.

I think people might look at you funny when you are walking down the street. WTF is HE on, man? If that does not bother you, keep tip toeing to your content.

the only thing you have to worry about is being laughed at to be honest. it seems like since you voluntarily started doing it you could stop if you just practiced walkng like a normal person.

when im on coke my legs feel like i have to control them individually so i end up walking weird cuz i have to think about each step